A list of game development resources to make magic happen. Created by awesome people for awesome people. This awesome collection is also available on Game-Development.ZEEF.com
- Board Games
- Must see
- Other Awesome Lists
Great graphics placeholders and tools to turn that squared game into a picasso painting
- 2D Cartoon Mobile Game UI Pack – cartoon user interface asset pack. It comes as a layered psd file.
- 420 Pixel Art Icons for RPGs – Set of 420 RPG icons, free for commercial use.
- CGTextures – A large collection of textures.
- GameDev Market – a community-driven marketplace that connects indie game developers with talented asset creators.
- Games-Icons Set – free icons for your games.
- Gunpoint-3D – specialized resource dedicated to armored military weapons, the modern and used in world wars.
- Iconmonstr – Another free icons resource for your games.
- OpenClipart – Collection of free cliparts.
- OpenGameArt – a media repository intended for use with free software game projects.
- Openstock Project – Modern 2D vector style game assets for indie developers, students, hobbyists & professionals – free personal & commercial licences.
- Reiner’s Tilesets – A blog with free 2D and 3D graphics.
- Sketchfab – Publish & embed interactive 3D models.
- SpriteLib – a collection of static and animated graphic objects (also commonly known as sprites).
- Tree Generator – An Online tree generator.
- Upando – Marketplace with lots of resources for game developers.
- Vecteezy – Free Vector Art.
- Yobi3D – Free 3D model search engine.
- Aseprite – animated sprite editor & pixel art tool.
- GraphicsGale – Animation graphic editor easy to use.
- PiskelApp – Free Online Pixel Art and Animated Sprite Tool.
- PyxelEdit – Pixel art editor designed to make it fun and easy to make tilesets, levels and animations.
- ShoeBox – ShoeBox is a free Adobe Air based app for Windows and Mac OSX with game and ui related tools. Each tool uses a drag and drop – or clipbord interaction for a quick workflow.
- Spritesheet Preview – A simple and free tool to preview sprite sheets
- TexturePacker – Great spritesheet creation editor.
- ImageAlpha — Mac OS X GUI for pngquant and other tools
- Kraken.io – robust, ultra-fast image optimizer and compressor with best-in-class algorithms.
- PNGGauntlet – Smash PNGs for faster sites
- PNGoo – Windows GUI for batch conversion.
- Pngyu – simple PNG image file compression tool.
- SuperPNG Photoshop plug-in — Mac and Windows. Comparison with "Save for Web"
- TinyPNG – Advanced lossy compression for PNG images that preserves full alpha transparency.
- FilterForge – A plugin for Adobe Photoshop that allows you to build your own filters.
- PixPlant – PixPlant is a smart 3D texturing tool that creates high quality normal, displacement, specular maps and seamless textures from photos.
- STG – a tool for creating professional seamlessly-tileable textures from photographs quickly and easily.
- Charas – Charas is a charset generator for RPG Maker.
- Famistu Chibi Maker – A tool to make the famous chibi chars and use in your game.
- Loose Leaf
- ArrayPainter – Array Painter is the easiest and fastest way to make 2D arrays ready for copy pasting into your own program.
- AutoTileGen – AutoTileGen is an automatic tileset generator for 2D game terrains.
- OGMO Editor – generic level editor.
- Mappy – Free tilemap editor.
- Tiled – free, easy to use and flexible tile map editor.
- Fusion Character Animator – small tool for Clickteam Fusion 2.5 to facilitate the animation of 2D character sprites for developers.
- Spine – Spine is dedicated to 2D animation, providing an efficient workflow both for creating amazing animation and for integrating it into your games.
- Spriter – Modern tool for sprite animation.
- Gimp – GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed piece of software for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring.
- Inkscape – An open-source vector graphics editor similar to Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw, Freehand, or Xara X.
- Krita – Krita is a KDE program for sketching and painting, offering an end-to-end solution for creating digital painting files from scratch by masters.
- Ormr – Ormr is a fast, light-weight, cross-platform procedural graphics editor.
- Paint.NET – Paint.NET is free image and photo editing software for PCs that run Windows.
- Pickle – Another Pixel art Editor.
- Pixelmator – Full-featured image editing app for the Mac
- Pixen – OpenSource Pixel Art Editor for OSX
Set of game frameworks, engines and platforms
Engines and Frameworks
- Agen – Cross-Platform framework for making 2D games with Lua, compatible iOS, Mac and Windows devices.
- Allegro – Allegro 4 & 5 are cross-platform, open source, game programming libraries, primarily for C and C++ developers.
- AndEngine – 2D Android Game Engine
- Bacon2D – A framework to ease 2D game development, providing ready-to-use QML elements representing basic game entities needed by most of games.
- Box2D – A 2D Physics Engine for Games.
- Chipmunk C# – C# implementation of the Chipmunk2D lib.
- Chipmunk2D – A fast and lightweight 2D game physics library.
- Cocos2D – graphic library for games and multimedia, for python language
- Cocos2d-x – a C++ OpenGL 2D and 3D game engine. Uses C++ but has JS and Lua bindings. Target all the major mobile platforms and operating systems. Additional tools CocoStudio and Cocos Code IDE.
- Corona SDK – A Cross-Platform Mobile App Development for iOS and Android.
- CutJS – Lightweight, fast, interactable 2D HTML5 rendering engine for cross-platform game development.
- Duality – C# / OpenGL 2D Game Engine that comes with visual editor.
- ENGi – A multi-platform 2D game library for Go.
- Farseer – a collision detection system with realistic physics responses.
- FlashPunk – free ActionScript 3 library designed for developing 2D Flash games.
- Flixel – an open source game-making written in ActionScript3.
- GameMaker – GameMaker accommodates the creation of cross-platform video games using drag and drop or a scripting language known as Game Maker Language, which can be used to develop more advanced games that could not be created just by using the drag and drop features.
- GameSalad – Game Creation Engine for Mac and Windows.
- Gideros – A Cross-Platform framework to create Mobile Apps and games for iOS, Android using Lua programming language.
- HaxeFlixel – Create cross-platform games easier and free.
- Jitter – a fast and lightweight physics engine written in C#.
- KiwiJS – a fun and friendly Open Source HTML5 Game Engine. Some people call it the WordPress of HTML5 game engines
- LibGDX – Powerful (totally free) library for Java, code once and run the game on desktop, Android, Web, and iOS.
- LimeJS – HTML5 game framework for building fast, native-experience games for all modern touchscreens and
- Loom SDK – 2D mobile app and game framework with live reload of code and assets, AS3/JS/C#-like scripting language, and powerful 2D rendering and UI framework. Open source with paid "Turbo" service.
- LÖVE – Lua 2D Game Engine.
- MINX – Open Source 2D game framework written in C++ (to the style of XNA)
- MOAI – Cross-Platform framework designed for pro game developers to create iOS, Android, Windows, Linux, Chrome and OSX games using C++, OpenGL and Lua scripting.
- MelonJS – open source light-weight HTML5 game engine.
- Monkey X – Multi-platform programming language and cross-compiler, aimed at fast game programming.
- Monogame – Open Source implementation of the Microsoft XNA 4 Framework.
- NodeBox – a family of Python tools to create generative design.
- PandaJS – Open Source HTML5 Engine.
- Phaser – free and fast 2D game framework for making HTML5 games for desktop and mobile web browsers, supporting Canvas and WebGL rendering.
- PixiJS – is a newcomer HTML5 game renderer – first released in early 2013. A main appeal of the engine is its use of WebGL for faster performance. If WebGL isn’t supported, the engine falls back to standard canvas.
- Processing – Processing is a programming language, development environment for artists, designers, researchers.
- PyGame – a 2D game engine in Python.
- Rpgboss – A 2d rpg game engine and editor based on scala and libgdx. Ease of use, with no programming knowledge.
- RPGMaker – series of programs for the development of role-playing games.
- SDL – SDL is a cross-platform library designed to provide low level access to audio, keyboard, mouse, joystick, and graphics hardware via OpenGL and Direct3D.
- SFML – Simple and Fast Multimedia Library.
- SpriteKit – iOS/Mac 2D Game Engine.
- Starling – The GPU powered 2D Flash API
- Stencyl – a game creation platform that allows users to create 2D video games for computers, mobile devices, and the web.
- XNA – Microsoft’s game development framework.
- Blitz3D 3D basic-like programming language for fast 3D desktop games.
- Bullet – Real-time physics simulation.
- Cinder – Cinder is a community-developed, free and open source library for professional-quality creative coding in C++.
- Dash – A free and open 3D game engine written in D.
- Godot – Open source game engine with rich API.
- Havok Vision – a cross-platform game engine that provides a powerful and versatile multi-platform runtime technology.
- Haxor – Combine the power of HaXe language and HTML5+WebGL to easily develop powerful applications that can run in any modern browser.
- Hive3D – Real Time Collaboration 3D engine.
- Horde3D – small open source 3D rendering engine.
- Irrlicht – open source high performance realtime 3D engine written in C++.
- JPCT – jPCT is a 3D engine for desktop Java and Google’s Android.
- ODE – ODE is an open source, high performance library for simulating rigid body dynamics.
- Ogre3D – is a scene-oriented, real-time, flexible 3D rendering engine (as opposed to a game engine) written in C++.
- Panda3D – a framework for 3D rendering and game development for Python and C++ programs.
- PlayCanvas – A WebGL Game Engine.
- Polycode – Open-Source Framework for creating games in C++ (with Lua bindings).
- Spring – A powerful free cross-platform RTS engine.
- Turbulenz – Turbulenz offers the ability to build, publish, iterate and monetise high-quality games that react like no others, with immersive 3D effects and real-time physics that open up a whole new world of unprecedented and extraordinary web content.
- UDK – the game engine technology developed by Epic Games.
- Unity 3D – A development engine for the creation of 2D and 3D games and interactive content.
- Urho3D – Cross-platform rendering and game engine.
- Wave – Cross-platform engine written in C#
- jMonkeyEngine 3 – a 3D open-source game engine for adventurous Java developers.
- voxel.js – voxel.js is a collection of projects that make it easier than ever to create 3D voxel games like Minecraft all in the browser.
Audio editors, sounds collections and more.
- Freesound – collaborative database of Creative Commons Licensed sounds.
- Musopen – Royalty free music.
- Octave – free library of UI sounds.
- PacDV – royalty free sounds collection.
Music and Audio Editors
- Audacity – open source, cross-platform software for recording and editing sounds.
- Audiosauna – transforms your web browser into a fast and flexible music production studio with built in synthesizers and live effects.
- Audiotool – Online music producer.
- Bfxr – A tool to make make sound effects for computer games.
- FamiTracker – free windows tracker for producing music for the NES/Famicom-systems.
- MadTracker – a powerful and efficient approach to making music. Versatility and compatibility are guaranteed due to full VST™, ASIO™ and ReWire™ support.
- MilkyTracker – open source, multi-platform music application for creating .MOD and .XM module files.
- Soundation – Online Professional music studio.
- iNudge – Create sound patterns online.
- musagi – open source, fairly large and sophisticated music editor and synthesizer
Tools for making board games
- Boardgamizer – Board Game Design Idea Generator.
- RPTools – a brand of open-source programs designed to enhance traditional pen-and-paper role playing games.
Blogs, portals, magazines and more
Blogs and Portals
- Amit’s Game Programming
- Designer Notes
- Emanuele Feronato’s Blog
- Game Development on StackExchange
- Greenlit Gaming
- HTML5 Game Devs Forum
- Html5 Game Development
- Java Gaming
- Lost Garden
- Real-Time Rendering
- Artificial Intelligence for Games
- Game Coding Complete
- Game Development Essentials: Game Level Design
- Game Engine Architecture
- Game Mechanics: Advanced Game Design
- Game Programming Gems
- Game Programming Patterns
- Game Scripting Mastery
- Interactive Computer Graphics: A Top-Down Approach with Shader-Based OpenGL, 6/E
- Level Up!
- 3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development
- Mathematics For 3D Game Programming And Computer Graphics
- Essential Mathematics for Games and Interactive Applications: A Programmer’s Guide
- Nature of Code
- Physics for Game Developers
- Programming Game AI by Example
- Real-Time Rendering
- Rules of Play
- The Art of Game Design
- The Ultimate Guide to Video Game Writing and Design
- The Visual Story
- Theory of Fun
- Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus
- CompoHub – A compilation site of many game jams in a timeline.
Complete Game Sources
- Doom 3
- Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition
- Prince of Persia
- Quake 2
- Quake III Arena
- Wolfenstein 3D
Online courses, tutorials, screencasts
General Game Development
- Coursera: Beginning Game Programming with C#
- Khan Academy: Advanced JS: Games & Visualizations
- Udacity: HTML5 Game Development
Other Awesome Lists
Other amazingly awesome lists can be found in the awesome-awesomeness list.