Big Buck Bunny is an animated short, released under the Creative Common Attribution license.
The film is about “a giant rabbit with a heart bigger than himself. When one sunny day three rodents rudely harass him, something snaps… and the rabbit ain’t no bunny anymore! In the typical cartoon tradition he prepares the nasty rodents a comical revenge.”
The film is a project of the Blender Foundation. Blender is a free open source 3D content creation suite.This “open movie” project had as main targets:
- Developing tools in Blender for editing and rendering hair, fur or grass
- Improve character animation tools for cartoonish motion and deformation
- Test Blender with giant outdoor environments, with large grassy fields and many trees with leaves
- Further validate Blender as a professional animation creation suite
- Create a great and good looking animation short, licensed freely as open content
- Provide content for other artists to learn from or to re-use, including documentation and tutorials
It’s a cool project – and it’s an animated flick that’s free for you to remix and reuse!